What is the YMCA’S Open Doors program?
The Open Doors Financial Assistance program provides families, children, and adults with the financial assistance they need to obtain quality Child Care, Youth Programs, and Health and Wellness services.
Who is eligible and how is the amount determined?
Anyone is welcome to apply. The amount granted is based on the review of the required documentation provided by the applicant. Our program reduces fees, but does not eliminate them.
How do I apply?
- All applications and documentation must be submitted online by computer or mobile device.
- Applications that do not have all required documentation attached will not be processed and the applicant will be notified by email to restart the process. If you receive this email notification, you will need to resubmit all of your information together in a new application as previously submitted information is not retained.
What kind of documentation do I need to include?
Below is a list of acceptable documents for income verification.
- Federal 1040 form - 2 pages. (no W-2's). If someone in the household is self-employed a schedule C form also needs to be included.
- If you do not have a copy of the tax return, you can get one by calling the IRS at 800-829-1040 or visit their website at www.irs.gov.
EMPLOYMENT - PAYSTUBS
- Two current/consecutive paystubs showing gross pay from each working adult in the household. If paystubs are unavailable, a letter from the employer on letterhead stating the average number of hours per week and hourly wage is acceptable. Bank statements do not show gross pay and is not an acceptable form of documentation.
- A letter from the Social Security Administration or Veterans Affairs stating the current amount received or 2 months bank statements showing the amount deposited to your account.
RETIREMENT/PENSION/IRA/TRUST FUND INCOME
- Letter from the company or fund stating the amount and frequency that it's received, a monthly statement, or 1040 tax form lines 11 and 12 showing IRA/Pension income.
How will I know if I qualified?
Your online YMCA account will be updated after your application has been processed and a notification will be sent to the email address listed on your application. Please allow up to 15 business days for your application to be processed. Due to the high volume of applicants, we request that you refrain from calling to check the status of your application. Please check your junk/spam folder if you have not received an email response from us after 15 business days.
If approved, will my assistance automatically be applied to my account?
- If you’re new to the Open Doors program or renewing your information and your financial assistance discount stays the same or increases, your new rates will automatically be applied for future use on your account.
- If you’re a current member and your monthly membership rate will increase, we will NOT automatically renew your membership at the higher rate and your membership will end the last day of the month. At that time, if you wish to continue your membership at the higher rate, you will need to contact your YMCA front desk.
- Please note: In situations of shared child custody, financial assistance percentage discounts will be available on the child's account and will be visible to either parent on receipts or online with a YMCA account.
Can my assistance be applied to past programs and membership?
The YMCA will not apply financial assistance to past registrations or memberships.
Is there assistance available for YMCA Camp Kitaki?
Due to the tiered pricing structure at YMCA Camp Kitaki, if additional assistance is needed, participants can apply for our Open Doors Program and could qualify for up to an additional 40% off.
When do I need to reapply?
You will need to reapply prior to your expiration date which can be found on your online YMCA account.